Explore Programs for your Major
There are lots of ways time abroad can fit into your study plan here at UNCG! Consider one of the options below, and then scroll to the bottom of the page for general information about Obtaining Academic Credit while abroad.
► Looking to take Gen. Eds. while abroad? Check out our Featured Programs tab!
► Want to find a short-term program led by UNCG faculty? Click here to see a list of current Faculty-Led Programs.
► Want to knock out a language requirement or spend the summer strengthening your foreign language skills? Consider our options for Language Studies Summer Abroad.
► Or, click on the name of your major or minor below to see suggested international programs that will help keep you on track:
Accounting and Finance
African American and African Diaspora Studies
Asian Studies (Chinese, Japanese, IGS)
Communication Sciences and Disorders
Community and Therapeutic Recreation
Consumer Apparel and Retail Studies
Environment and Sustainability Studies
French and Francophone Studies
Human Development and Family Studies
International and Global Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Nursing (updated info coming soon!)
Peace and Conflict Studies
Physics and Astronomy
Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality
Women's and Gender Studies
Obtaining Academic Credit
Most courses that you take abroad will come back as transfer credit*. As long as you receive the equivalent of a "C" or better, you will get credit for the course, but it will not affect your GPA. The transfer credit process has a few steps, but can be simple as long as you follow the guidelines outlined by IPC.
*Note: students on faculty-led programs take UNCG courses, so they will be on your transcript just as any on-campus course would be. No transfer credit process is needed.
► Before you go
- Before you apply, meet with your academic advisor to discuss your study plans and determine what type of courses you'll want to take abroad.
- Investigate course options at our exchange partners. If you are looking for courses in your major, click on its name above for suggested programs. Explore the programs and courses offered at each location by clicking on the links provided under the "Academics" tab on our brochure pages.
- After you're accepted, meet with your academic advisor again to get pre-approval for UNCG transfer credits.
► While you're abroad
- Stay in touch with you study abroad advisor as well as your departmental advisor if your class schedule changes or the pre-approved courses are not available.
- Keep all coursework, including syllabi, term papers and graded assignments. If possible, bring back any textbooks too.
- Know what courses you need credit for here at UNCG. Have updated degree evaluations reviewed by your advisor before you leave so that you know what classes are needed while abroad. General Education requirements (GEC) may also be fulfilled. If you are a senior who plans to graduate the semester after your return, you may want to take and extra course abroad to assure you will complete your degree requirements.
► Once you're back at UNCG
- You will be emailed regarding the arrival of your transcript, letting you know to make an appointment with the study abroad advior. Some transcripts can take up to a number of months to arrive, depending on the university and their academic calendar.
- An appointment with the study abroad advisor will assist you in the reviewing of your transcript and will put you in contact with your academic department so that you receive specific credit for you courses. This will also give you the opportunity to share any feedback with the IPC regarding your time abroad.
- During these meeting, you will be given a memo to have approved by your department. Please note that it is mandatory to meet with the transfer credit advisor in order to receive proper credit from your time abroad.
- Transferral of credit will be complete once your departmental memos are turned back in to the IPC and the Registrar's office has posted your new credit to your account.
► Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP)
While abroad, students must maintain SAP to be eligible for financial aid the following semester by completing a sufficient amount of credits. Click here to learn more about SAP at UNCG. If you are in doubt that you will not receive enough credit from your study abroad, get in touch with your study abroad advisor as soon as possible and contact a financial aid representative.